I was trying to make a savoury muffin and had a complete disaster with almond flour which surprised me as on the face of it looked to be the best flour for a savoury muffin. After throwing two batches in the bin, I turned to my favourite, coconut flour. This next batch was fabulous! Moist, savoury, cheesy…just what I was hoping for. As ever, because they are made with coconut flour, they are very high in fibre so you have to be careful with the amount you eat…wolf the whole lot down and you will have a very, very full stomach..
The courgette helps to keep it moist and ensures that the eggs used are less than usually used with coconut flour. Coconut flour acts like a sponge and needs a lot of moisture. The courgettes (zucchini) have met their match!
1 1/2 cups grated courgette (zucchini)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup water
1/4 tspn salt
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 tspn baking soda
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tblspn dried oregano
1 tblspn thyme, fresh and chopped
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated (for the topping)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Combine the eggs, butter, water and salt with a hand blender.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and mix well.
- Add in the courgette (zucchini), thyme and oregano.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese and blend.
- Put the mixture into muffin cups and sprinkle the grated Cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden on top and firm.
- Eat and enjoy!