Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Coconut Flour)

15 May

This is just so delicious and made out of coconut flour.  A low carb and Gluten Free tasty sandwich!  All of the taste and none of the guilt!  Huzzah!  The naming of the sandwich being grilled amuses me, being British, as for us it is fried.  To our friends across the pond, it is grilled.  I love the differences in a common language!   I don’t care what it’s is called, it is still a lovely low carb sandwich type meal that is fried in butter!

I find this very filling too.  One of these for breakfast and I can keep going all day.  Although the Chief Taster had one and hinted he could have another, but I put that down to him liking it so much rather than hunger.   I sometimes zap the sandwich in the microwave at the end to really melt the cheese although that is probably due to me piling up the cheese in the middle.

You could play around with this and add other fillings or herbs to this.  I use garlic powder, dried herbs and white pepper to flavour it but feel free to get creative!  Perhaps some jalopenos in the cheese would be nice…ooh, might try that next time.

INGREDIENTS

1 tblspn butter (melted)  PLUS butter for frying

2 large eggs

2 tblspns water

1/2 tspn baking powder

1/2 tspn garlic powder

1 tspn dried oregano

2 tblspns coconut flour

salt and pepper

Cheese for the filling, sliced thinly.

Any other filling you wish to use.

• Mix the egg and water together and whisk well.
  • Add the butter and blend.
  • Add the coconut flour, baking powder, herbs and seasoning and mix until smooth.
  • Place in a square or rectangle microwave dish and spread out evenly.
  • Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes until cooked and firm
  • Remove from the container and slice in half for two pieces of “bread”.
  • Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan and cook one piece until golden brown, then remove.
  • Place the remaining piece of “bread” in the pan and layer on the cheese/toppings, then place the other piece of “bread” on top and cook until the cheese is melted.
  • Eat and enjoy!

19 Responses to “Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Coconut Flour)”

1. The Soupstache May 15, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

This looks absolutely delicious!

• Angie C May 15, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Thanks for dropping by! And oh yes, oh yes…it is yummy! Think I might try and live of these for a week or so……!

2. The Soupstache May 15, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

I don’t blame you! I had grilled cheese on the mind the other day. I’ll definitely try these. :)

3. Needle and Fork May 15, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

this looks amazing.. I can only imagine what it tastes like with coconut flour…mmm.

come check out our food blog! https://www.facebook.com/NeedleandFork

• Angie C May 15, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Hope you enjoy it! You have a cool food blog too!

4. libby anderson June 19, 2012 at 10:43 am #

I don’t have a microwave so could this be cooked another way?

• Divalicious June 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

I have not tried it, but you might be able to bake this in the oven…I would suggest about 20 mins at 190C…but do check it. It should be firm and spongy! Let me know how it goes!

5. jennifer October 16, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

This was very easy to make and tasty! I actually made 4 slices from the recipe so I ate one sandwhich and will have the other one later!

• Divalicious October 16, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

Fantastic! I am currently loving this for breakfast at the moment…make it the night before, then nuke it when I get to work in the morning…keeps me going and low carbs! One of my fellow divas tried this recipe and made french toast…would recommend this too! Glad you liked it!!

6. Kelly September 18, 2013 at 1:19 am #

This looks so good!.

• Divalicious September 22, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

Hope you enjoy it…it’s one of my favourite supper dishes when I am not in the mood to spend a long time in the kitchen.

7. tannngl December 23, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

Trying this tonight! Thanks!

8. trebooks January 20, 2014 at 5:14 am #

I just made this for lunch tomorrow, in the oven following your directions, and it smells amazing! Have you ever tried to make whole loaf by multiplying the ingredients?

• Divalicious January 20, 2014 at 11:03 am #

Hi! Have not tried a loaf of bread but it sounds like a good idea! Off to the kitchen I now go! Thanks for stopping by and glad you enjoyed it!

9. Theresa Scholtz April 3, 2014 at 1:32 am #

This looks so good…I love a good grilled (or fried!) cheese sandwich! I think I might try this with almond flour…has anyone experimented with different flours in this? :)

• Divalicious April 3, 2014 at 9:16 am #

I think it can be made with almond flour..let me know how it goes! Thanks for popping by!

10. K July 29, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

Thanks so much! This was good! I might cut back on the garlic powder next time though, loved the herbs! I was so relieved to see a recipe that was quick and easy and without a lot of exotic ingredients! I made mine a grilled cheese with bacon and tomato as well. Bacon makes everything better!

• Divalicious July 29, 2014 at 8:20 pm #

Thanks K! Glad you enjoyed it. I must admit I love this as a quick dish when I get home and don’t want to spend ages chopping/cooking. And so tasty too! You made me giggle about your bacon reference as I had read this phrase today “I love bacon because I can wrap it around everything. Essentially, it’s the duct tape of food” and thought of you!!