This is a great supper dish and a gorgeous low carb, gluten free alternative to the pasta cannelloni. Actually, I found it tastier too. The Chief Taster said it was moreish. You could play around with the fillings, perhaps different cheeses and perhaps spinach too? Or some grilled peppers…ooh, that sounds nice now that I have thought of it. Either way, this is just delicious. Easy to make and easier to eat.
I used home made pesto for this as it is easy to make (and nicer than the jar stuff). What you use is up to you. The pesto gives this dish a little kick as it could be a little too bland without it.
2 -3 large thin aubergines (eggplants)
1 cup fresh tomato sauce
200g Mozzarella cheese, grated
75g Cheddar cheese,grated
3-4 tblspns pesto sauce
50g Parmesan cheese, grated
2 – 3 tblspns olive oil
- Slice the aubergines (eggplants) and brush with oil and cook either under the grill or on a griddle pan until golden.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Spread the pesto over the aubergine (eggplant) slices.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella, cheddar and parmesan cheeses.
- Roll up tightly and place in a greased oven dish.
- Pour the tomato sauce over and scatter some grated cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Eat and enjoy!