Cauliflower Hash Browns

19 Jul

This is a delicious low carb alternative to potatoes using the wonderful cauliflower yet again!  I cooked these for breakfast and the only complaint that I got was that there was not enough.  I added cheese to my hash browns but you could alway omit this to keep it Vegan or Dairy Free.   I used Cheddar Cheese, but you could use mozzarella or Parmesan too.

This would be a great way to use any left over cauliflower rice that you may have too!  You could add other spices, herbs or chopped peppers too!  Go crazy and experiment with this!

INGREDIENTS

2 cups cauliflower, grated

1/2 onion finely chopped

3/4 grated Cheddar Cheese (or mozzarella or Parmesan)

1 tspn garlic powder

salt and white pepper

3 tblspns olive oil

• Cook the grated cauliflower in the microwave for about 3 minutes until tender and there is no water in it (or if you have some leftover cooked cauliflower rice you can omit this bit).
  • Add the onion, cheese and garlic powder and stir well.  Season to taste.
  • Using your hands, form little patties.
  • Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
  • Place the patties in the pan and gently press down with a spatula to flatten.
  • Cook on each side until golden.
  • Eat and enjoy!

8 Responses to “Cauliflower Hash Browns”

1. HJ July 20, 2012 at 12:49 am #

These sound easy and delicious! Have you ever tried them baked?

• Divalicious July 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

No, but I cannot see why they could not be baked. Might take a bit longer though but still taste as yummy!

2. Anu August 6, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Do you think they’ll keep their shape while frying, without the cheese. Would an egg or some other binder (chickpea flour ) be necessary

• Divalicious August 6, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

I would use another binder to keep a shape. Unless you squeeze every drop of moisture and keep them in the fridge for about an hour to firm up.

3. Jess August 9, 2012 at 10:37 am #

Have just tried these, the taste is very good!! I have trouble keeping the shape when they are in the pan so I just pan fry all the cauliflower mixture till they look slightly golden and place them on a plate, then I press and shape them into a big block of harsh brown. They did stick together a little when they cool down. I will definitely try it again (the big block method) and place a fried egg on top to make it a meal. Thanks for the recipe! :-)

• Divalicious August 10, 2012 at 8:55 am #

Delighted you enjoy these Jess! And loving your creativity with keeping the shape! What a fabulous idea!!

4. Vasthy March 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

So good!!! Just made them! I added a little bit of almond meal, cayenne pepper and some chopped pancetta. So good!

• Divalicious March 24, 2014 at 9:36 am #

What a great idea! Glad you enjoyed them!