Flatbread (Coconut flour and Psyllium)

27 Aug
Yummy flatbread

Yummy flatbread

This is another great use of Psyllium in a grain free bread recipe and is very easy to make too.   Since Psyllium and coconut flour are high in fibre this bread is very filling.  Make sure you drink a lot of water!  You can use this for dipping with sauces, spread with pate or load it up like a open sandwich.    Use it like a sandwich wrap, make a mini pizza…just have fun and enjoy it!  You could play around with the spices too, perhaps add chillis?

I found this recipe from a lovely blog http://clevercook.net.au/ which is full of awesome recipes!    I used a griddle pan to cook them as I liked the markings it gave on the bread too.

IMG_5265

INGREDIENTS

60g coconut flour

2 tblspn psyllium husk powder

40g coconut oil (or melted butter)

1/2 tspn salt

1 tspn baking powder

250g boiling water

herbs/garlic powder (optional)

An open sandwich with grilled veggies

An open sandwich with grilled veggies

• Mix the dry ingredients with a hand whisk.   Add the oil and water and blend until a dough like mixture forms.
  • Divide the mixture into 3 large balls.
  • Roll the balls between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper and flatten out.
  • Dry fry in a pan for 2– 3 minutes each side, until golden.
  • Eat and enjoy!
  • Makes 3.

IMG_5263

13 Responses to “Flatbread (Coconut flour and Psyllium)”

1. Erin O'Leary August 28, 2013 at 12:39 am #

This looks delicious! :)

2. roberta4949 August 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

will try it, thanks. wondered what I was going to do with this coconut I have, I dont have any psyllium I will substitute oat bran will that work? I really dont’ like bread anymore since following this lower carb diet I have been following a month now, but this bread you made sounds delicious.

• Divalicious August 31, 2013 at 7:55 am #

I am not too sure, but hey, it’s always worth a try!

3. Kelly September 7, 2013 at 2:20 am #

this looks so good!.

4. Fruitbat September 22, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Wow these are totally amazing, we can’t believe how good they are. I’ve been grain free for about 3 months and these are the closest I have tasted to a wheat or rye product since then. The texture is perfect. Yum, thanks very much for posting this!

• Divalicious September 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

Glad you enjoyed them Anna. I find this is a great recipe when I am hungry and want something quick! Great as mini pizza bases too when my stomach is impatiently growling at me!

• Sandra Brockel April 11, 2014 at 5:42 pm #

Is there anything you can use in place of the Psyllium husk.

• Divalicious April 11, 2014 at 8:03 pm #

Hi Sandra. I think that ground flaxseeds or chia seeds might work. I would lean to add a pinch of baking soda too to give it a bit of a lift. Hope it works!